Friday, November 14, 2008

how to be a diva 101

For the girls...

I had my first natural period in almost a decade back in October.  After years of being on the pill, I decided that it was time to take a break from the hormones and to go au natural.  The past 2 years have been hellish for me in terms of being a woman.  Instead of getting my period for one week, every 4 weeks, I would have the reverse: 3 weeks of grossness at a time and maybe a one week break.  During this time, I would switch back and forth between tampons and pads which was very irritating to my netherlands.  It wasn't until 1.5 years ago that I discovered the Diva Cup and I haven't looked back since.

The Diva Cup is a top-quality silicone menstrual cup which is inserted into the vagina and can stay there for 12 hours.  It can accommodate all ranges of flows and is safe to wear over night.  The best thing about it is that it is reusable.  After each use, you empty the contents into the toilet, quickly rinse it out and then re-insert to be worn again for another 12 hours.  I've not only saved hundreds of dollars on feminine products, I have also eliminated the waste of tampons/pad that are thrown into landfills each year.  Think about that for a moment.

Using the Diva Cup means never having to worry about bothering a friend for a tampon.  It is virtually leak-free if inserted properly and is very easy to insert.  After only a few 'practice runs', I had no problem getting it up in thurr and have never had to deal with a leaky situation.  For me, the major bonus was that during my days of endless periods, I experienced no irritation and uncomfortableness when wearing it for week after week unlike when I was using tampons.

You can purchase the Diva Cup online or at stores such as Capers and Whole Foods.  It will run you about $35.00 but let's be honest, you can spend about that much in tampons in about 4 months.  The Diva Cup will last you for years.  I will never go back to the days of leaky tampons and chafing from pads.  

Sorry guys for the lady-talk so here is a [gross] cartoon for you from Natalie Dee dot com.

1 comment:

Alissa said...

Ever since I started researching cloth diapering and then learning about "mama cloth", I've been feeling hugely guilty about the feminine products I've been putting in the landfill every month. I heard about the DivaCup but only online, so I wasn't sure how practical it really was. But thanks to this blog entry, I'll go check it out at Whole Foods! It seems awesome! Thanks!