Wednesday, November 19, 2008

bah hum-buggar

No money.  Little decorations.  No presents.  Maybe a stocking.  Maybe.  

My Christmas tree this year:

I know, I know.  It isn't about the presents, it isn't about the material things.  It is about comfort, loved ones and simple moments.  But I was just hit with the blunt stick of reality that we can't afford Christmas this year.  Thank goodness I was able to get my family's gifts to them already but that was it.  I hope that I have some 'Christmas scotch' up in the cupboard to ease this Grinchy pain.


3 comments:

Allie said...

But you know what, it's your first Christmas with Mike as your husband and getting to be together and that is totally invaluable! :) You have a lot more happiness than most people, that's for sure.

Alissa said...

It's a different kind of pain when you can't afford to give, as opposed to when you can't afford to purchase something for yourself. I understand both. This year, although we can spend more than $3 per kid like we did last year, I am still sad because I can't give a big sum to the food bank like I had wanted to. Money sucks shit on SO many different levels!!!

I'm glad you were able to give to your family. That's really what matters most!

I hear the river runs free with scotch in Christmas Town that's only a short drive away.. meetcha there!

PS. On an unrelated note, that was an incredibly honourable thing you did yesterday. I'm sure you've banked some major karma points. :)

Lindsay Dee said...

Thanks guys! I'm excited for it all but Alissa you're right: it's a different kind of 'pain'. I don't like the limitations that having zero cash sets.

Meet you guys at Christmas Town!
xo