Tuesday, January 29, 2008

eco-guilt

I believe that it was Gandhi who said 'Be the change you want to see in the world'.

One of those 'lead by example' or 'practice what you preach' quotes.

[Let's see how many cliches I can have in this post]

If I didn't have my reusable mug, I didn't think that I deserved a tea and therefore would opt out. Even with my quads burning from the gym, I would always scale the cold, hard CHBE steps up and down, up and down rather than take the death-trap elevator.



When I pass people who are waiting for the elevator to take it down I have zero reservations of sharing my thoughts aloud: "Burn your own energy, use the stairs". This is said to everyone yet no one in particular at the same time.

Really, I'm not sure what to do anymore. There are so many simple ways that people can adapt their lives to reduce waste, reduce unnecessary energy usage, and so on and it is made so EASY for people to do this. Yet, they don't.

One ignorant bastard in a class of mine said something along the lines of 'People should be paying me for my old computer - I'll just throw it out in the garbage anyway. You have to entice me not to.'

Cocksucker. (sorry, this guy really pissed me off)


It is that lazy attitude from someone who literally has everything handed to them (remember, we're all in the 20/20 club and live in this bubble where we don't think day to day if we're going to have enough fresh water to drink or food to eat) that sets back the human race as a whole. How can you open a person's eyes and make them SEE that they can take baby steps in the right direction? I've got some needlenose pliers and plenty of time....




*ADHD kicks in*

On a positive note, and a completely unrelated topic, Canada is responsible for some of the BEST music I have heard in a long time.

Please listen religiously to CBC Radio 3 for the likes of Octoberman, Plants & Animals, The Sadies, Black Mountain and of course, the band responsible for the best album of 2007, Wintersleep (seriously, f-bomb fantastic). Of course, this is 100% biased and really, what does a Chemical-Environmental Engineer know about music? Everything.

[Had to include a photo with my pal Mike in the band]

Remember, I slow danced with Joel Plaskett to November Rain at the Marquee Club years ago after The Constantines show. This makes me the know-all, tell-all of music. Well, some (me) may say.

No comments: